Manish malhotra fashion week
Manish Malhotra is an Indian fashion designer who often works with Hindi cinema actresses. He launched his label in 2005.
In 2014, his label marked a turnover of over INR 1 Billion (USD 15 Million).
Manish Malhotra started his career as a model, while studying at the Elphinstone College. Failure as a model led him to clothes, costumes and art.
At the age of 25, Manish Malhotra tried his luck in Bollywood by designing costumes for Juhi Chawla for the movie Swarg (1990). His gamble paid off when he won a Filmfare Costume Award for styling Urmila Matondkar in Rangeela (1995) for which he garnered some recognition. Since then, his career in the film industry took off as he went on to work for some of the biggest names in the industry. During his tenure, he had the fortune of working under several blockbuster films and actors.
Manish Malhotra Label
In 1998, he ventured into mainstream designing with his couture store 'Reverie - Manish Malhotra'. This brought him clientele from beyond the film industry to include fashion-mavens across India and the Indian diaspora.
Soon after, he received appreciation for his glamorous ensembles using traditional colours, craftsmanship, textures and embroideries presented at his first runway show in November 1999.
In 2005, he launched his couture label MANISH MALHOTRA which offers bridal, couture, diffusion and men's wear collections and currently retails at two stores in Mumbai and New Delhi. The label also retails at multi-brand boutiques across India and in Dubai.
Malhotra has been reported to have been inspired by Indian craftsmanship and promotes regional handicrafts and workmanship from rural India through his association with the ‘Mijwan Welfare Society’– an NGO founded by Late Kaifi Azmi and headed by Shabana Azmi and Namrata Goyal.
Some of the label’s recent collections feature handloom textiles from Varanasi, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh as well as centuries-old crafts techniques for the modern consumer. In March 2017, the Philadelphia Museum of Art featured outfits from the Manish Malhotra 2013 couture collection – Thread of Emotion, in an ongoing retrospective spotlighting the Phulkari technique at their Joan Spain Gallery.
Corporate Social Responsibility - Manish Malhotra
Manish Malhotra has made contributions to the India’s largest education NGO, Pratham, once in 2013 and then in 2016. Manish Malhotra celebrated 100 years of Indian Cinema at the ARTiculate the Pratham Ball 2013, at London and raised 3,00,000 pounds for the Indian Education Charity. His collection was inspired by the three main eras of the Indian Cinema, spanning from 1913 to 2013. It took the audience through the black and white era of “Mughal-E-Azam” and “Awara”. Also, actors Bipasha Basu and Esha Gupta who were already in London shooting for their film, Humshakals; walked the ramp for Manish Malhotra.
Again on April 23, 2016, at the Pratham’s Annual Gala, held at Hilton America’s, Manish Malhotra raised .8 million to eradicate illiteracy in India. His collection ‘The Regal Threads’, which emphasized the use of Indian heritage weaves from Benares and Gujarat, India; was showcased at the event.
Angel! Foundation (London)
Manish Malhotra made his UK Catwalk debut at a gala fundraiser in aid of the Angel! Foundation in association with Rivaage Boutique, on 23 February 2013. This event was held at The Grosvenore House Hotel, London. Manish Malhotra selected Angel! Foundation as the charity of choice for his UK launch to highlight the shocking inequality and attitude towards women in India. Angel! Foundation is a charity which works towards empowerment of Women in India.Manish in support for the Angel! Foundation said, “I work in an industry where women are revered and respected. I have had the privilege of dressing some of the most beautiful and powerful women in the world, but when I step out of the door and into the stark reality of India, I see the injustice and inequality all around me. The Angel! Foundation is providing an invaluable service to these girls and women. The charity helps them raise their self-esteem, confidence and ultimately value themselves enough to get a voice.”
Muscat Fashion Show
On February 20, 2014, Manish Malhotra along with 20 talented models from Mumbai showcased his latest creations and couture in a binding show. The show was in association with Oman Cancer Association and Dar Al’ Atta’a to support cancer awareness. The show was held on 20 February 2014 at the lawns of the Intercontinental Muscat. The RO20,000 raised during the event were donated to the Oman Cancer Association. Manish, through this show, brought to life India’s regal heritage with the royalty in chiffon saris, flowing anarkalis, kalidar lehengas and double-breasted bandhgalas.
Save The Tiger Telethon (Aircel)
NDTV in association with Aircel embarked upon a unique programming initiative to support its ongoing “Save our Tiger” campaign by telecasting a 12-hour nonstop program from 11 am to 11 pm, in March 20101. Manish Malhotra was among the many generous donors like Amitabh Bachchan, Diya Mirza, Priya Dutt etc. the campaign raised about Rs. 10 crore and had a great impact on the policies.
WEvolve Blue Runway
Manish Malhotra introduced a new dimension to his summer collection in 2015 with ‘The Blue Runway’ at the Jabong Lakme Fashion Week 2015. The show was in association with the WEvolve campaign and World Bank as the partner. WEvolve is a global campaign bringing men and women together to end inequality using the power of art and media to inspire action and change. The highlight of the show was the finale segment where the models were seen carrying messages of change and positivity on placards that read – gender, equality, society, empower and justice. The show derived its name, ‘The Blue Runway’ from the color palette it featured – different hues of blue from powder to midnight. Also the collection was designed to be worn in any part of the world with the women’s line including flowy gowns, jacket-saris, off-shoulder and halter crop tops, and skirts as an ode to the lehenga. The men’s line included bandhgala jackets and long shirts in structured and easy styles.
Honor Role By CRY America
Manish Malhotra also made a contribution towards ensuring underprivileged children their basic rights. He made a generous donation of a Manish Malhotra garment at the CRY gala dinner 2017.
. Among the prominent personalities who walked the ramp for them were Shabana Azmi, Sophie Choudry, Huma Qureshi, Athiya Shetty, Tara Sharma, Kajol, Riya Sen, Tisca Chopra etc.
Manish Malhotra worked towards promoting the regional handicrafts of India in 2012. He associated with craftsmen of Kashmir who had been creating intricate embroideries for his label and created the Kashmiri Heritage Collection which was showcased on the third day of Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week. His collection was Kashmir inspired and it was a tribute to the craftsmen from Kashmir working for him since a year.
Manish Malhotra has been involved with Mijwan Welfare Society since its very first show. Mijwan Welfare Society was founded by Kaifi Azmi that promotes the village based small-scale industries and supporting it with marketing skills and strategies and it also facilitates viable self-employment. The women of the Mijwan village have sustained themselves by learning chikankari embroidery, which Malhotra has transformed into his signature Indian wear. Kaifi Azmi Embroidery and Sewing centre was set up in 1994 and Manish Malhotra adopted the school in 2012. He showcased his 2012 Mijwan collection at the India Fashion Week held at Grand Hyatt, Mumbai to promote Mijwan’s female population and their craftsmanship. In 2015, having completed 4 years of working with Mijwan Welfare Society, he put up a show on April 4, 2015. The collection was called, The Legacy and the list of showstoppers included five parent-child duos: Amitabh Bachchan and Shweta Nanda, Anil and Sonam Kapoor, Shatrugan and Sonakshi Sinha, Jaya and Abhishek Bachchan, and Javed and Farhan Akhtar.
The idea behind putting family on the forefront was simple: To represent the legacy the late Kaifi Azmi left for his daughter Shabana Azmi, who now heads the NGO of Mijwan Welfare Society along with her god daughter Namrata Goyal. In 2017, he put up his sixth Mijwan show at the Grand Hyatt, Mumbai. Shah Rukh Khan and Anushka Sharma walked the ramp for him and the collection showcased an amalgamation of classic chikankari in modern silhouettes, renewing the vintage charm of elaborate jackets, cocktail dresses, saris, crop tops, fluid skirts and evening gowns—with rich zardozi, romantic sequins and fringes.
Save The Girl Child
To support the 'Save & Empower The Girl Child' campaign held at JW Marriott in Mumbai on April 11, 2012, Manish Malhotra put up a show where many celebrities walked the ramp with their daughters. The collection embraced traditional Indian crafts like Chikankari and Kashmiri embroidery. It traced the birth of the Indian Girl Child from soft shades to vibrant hues signaling her arrival into womanhood.
At the Lilavati hospital, Manish Malhotra put up a show to support the ‘Save the Girl Child’ campaign where Bollywood divas Madhuri Dixit Nene, Malaika Arora Khan, Mandira Bedi, Lara Dutta etc. walked the ramp for him.
Clients and projects
Malhotra has dressed some of the leading actresses in Hindi cinema such as Kajol, Sridevi Kapoor, Karisma Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Deepika Padukone, Katrina Kaif, Kangana Ranaut, Alia Bhatt and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. He has presented his collections at showcases across the globe.
Malhotra worked on the design a traditional outfit for Michael Jackson, during his visit to India in the late 1990s. He has also worked for Jean-Claude Van Damme, Reese Witherspoon in Mira Nair’s Vanity Fair, Kylie and Jermaine Jackson and wife Halima. He also designed the wedding outfits for the Princess of Riyadh.
In August 2016, Malhotra's show for Lakme Fashion Week’s Winter-Festive edition was shot for a Virtual Reality fashion experience by Etihad Airways. The Virtual Reality video was released earlier in January 2017 at Etihad’s Innovation Centre in Abu Dhabi.
He also collaborated with Google to launch the ‘G Suite’ – a set of intelligent apps designed for modern professionals.
He designed the jersey of IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders.
In December 2017, Manish Malhotra also styled Naomi Campbell for her India visit. Along with this, during Miss India 2017, the finale round saw the contestants wearing Indian for the first time ever and exclusively put together by Manish Malhotra. Mr India 2017 as well saw the finale round styled by him.
Chandon India in an association with Manish Malhotra launched an exclusive luxurious collection of bottles inspired by the design and vision of Manish Malhotra.
In another association with Hindware, Manish Malhotra curated ALCHYMI a super premium brand in Hindware Design Studio using Flosense Technology.
Further information: List of awards and nominations received by Manish Malhotra
Bollywood Movie Award
- 1999 Bollywood Award for Costume Design - Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
- 2002 Bollywood Awards Designer of Year - Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham
- 2005 Bollywood Awards Designer of Year - Veer Zaara
- 2007 Bollywood Awards Designer of Year - Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna
Zee Cine Award
Filmfare Awards South
- Masala Awards for International Asian Designer of the year in 2010
- Masa Awards for Fashion Personality in 2012
Bollywood Fashion Awards
- Designer of the year in 2002
- Best costume designer in 2004
- Designer of the year in 2004
- Designer of the year in 2005
- Best costume designer in 2005
- Showtime Opinion Poll Award for Raja Hindustani
- Rok Glam Award Zoom for Contemporary Wear Design - Women in 2007
- Siemen's Viewer's Choice Award for Dil To Pagal Hai
- Stylish Designer Of the Year at the Elle Style Awards in 1999
- Indo American Society Award for contribution to Fashion Designing
- Indira Priyadarshini Memorial Award for his contribution to the fashion industry
- Manish was Felicitated by National Institute Of Fashion Technology
- Indian Affairs of Network 7 Media Group felicitated Manish at India Leadership Conclave 2013 as "Fashion Icon of the Decade 2013".
- SAIFTA in 2013 for Outstanding Contribution to Cinema & Fashion
- International Film Festival Of India - Goa for Excellence Award
- Rajiv Gandhi Awards for designing in 2002
- Hall of Fame for HELLO in 2014
- Rang Sadhana for Costume Designer in 2008
- AICOG Achievers Award
- MOET & Chandon Champagne for tribute to Asian fashion designing in 2006
- Power brands & Fame & Planman for Styling new India in 2012
- Hindustan Times for Most Stylish - Delhi Season 6 in 2016
- Pratham, USA for Excellence in fashion in 2016
- The Antwerp medical team for noble cause in 2006
- Lycra MTV Style Awards for Celebrity Style in 2006
- Lyrca MTC Style Awards for Bollywood designer of the year
- FICCI - Speaker in 2014 for Changing facade of fashion industry in India
- Clariden LEU for appreciation for creativity
- Magzimise Awards 2016 for creative fashion & fashion accessories
Costume design filmographyYear Film Actors Designed for 1990 Swarg Juhi Chawla 1993 Lootere Juhi Chawla 1993 Gumrah Sridevi 1995 Prem Tabu 1995 Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge Kajol 1995 Rangeela Urmila Matondkar 1996 Khamoshi: The Musical Manisha Koirala 1996 Indian (Tamil) Manisha Koirala and Urmila Matondkar 1996 Raja Hindustani Karisma Kapoor 1997 Gupt: The Hidden Truth Manisha Koirala and Kajol 1997 Koyla Madhuri Dixit 1997 Dil To Pagal Hai Madhuri Dixit and Karisma Kapoor 1997 Judaai Sridevi and Urmila Matondkar 1998 Duplicate Juhi Chawla 1998 Dushman Kajol 1998 Satya Urmila Matondkar 1998 Soldier Preity Zinta 1998 Kuch Kuch Hota Hai Kajol and Rani Mukerji 1999 Dil Kya Kare Kajol and Mahima Chaudhry 2000 Mela Twinkle Khanna 2000 Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai Ameesha Patel 2000 Chal Mere Bhai Karishma Kapoor 2000 Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai Aishwarya Rai 2000 Mohabbatein Shahrukh Khan 2001 Ek Rishtaa: The Bond of Love Juhi Chawla and Karisma Kapoor 2001 Dhadkan Shilpa Shetty 2001 Asoka Kareena Kapoor 2001 Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham Kajol, Jaya Bachchan, Kareena Kapoor and Rani Mukerji 2002 Haan Maine Bhi Pyaar Kiya Karishma Kapoor 2002 Mujhse Dosti Karoge Rani Mukerji and Kareena Kapoor 2002 Saathiya Rani Mukerji 2003 Talaash: The Hunt Begins... Kareena Kapoor 2003 Chalte Chalte Rani Mukerji 2003 Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon Kareena Kapoor 2003 Kal Ho Naa Ho Jaya Bachchan and Preity Zinta 2004 Hum Tum Rani Mukerji 2004 Main Hoon Naa Sushmita Sen 2004 Veer Zaara Rani Mukerji and Preity Zinta 2004 Chameli Kareena Kapoor 2005 Bewafaa Kareena Kapoor and Shamita Shetty 2006 Chup Chup Ke Kareena Kapoor 2006 Fanaa Kajol 2006 Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna Preity Zinta, Shahrukh Khan, Rani Mukerji, Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan and Kirron Kher 2006 Krrish Priyanka Chopra 2007 Sivaji: The Boss (Tamil) Rajinikanth, Shriya Saran, Nayantara and Vivek 2007 Laaga Chunari Mein Daag Konkona Sen Sharma 2007 Aaja Nachle Madhuri Dixit 2007 Om Shanti Om Shahrukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Shreyas Talpade, Arjun Rampal, Kirron Kher 2008 U Me Aur Hum Kajol 2008 Tashan Kareena Kapoor 2008 Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic Rani Mukerji 2008 Dostana Priyanka Chopra and Shilpa Shetty 2009 Blue Kylie Minogue 2009 Dil Bole Hadippa Rani Mukerji 2009 Kurbaan Kareena Kapoor 2009 3 Idiots Kareena Kapoor 2010 My Name is Khan Kajol and Shahrukh Khan 2010 We Are Family Kajol and Kareena Kapoor 2010 I Hate Luv Storys Sonam Kapoor and Imran Khan 2010 Enthiran (Tamil) Aishwarya Rai 2010 Action Replayy Aishwarya Rai 2011 Bodyguard Kareena Kapoor 2011 Rockstar (2011 film) Nargis Fakhri 2011 Ra.One Kareena Kapoor and Shahrukh Khan 2012 Agneepath Priyanka Chopra and Katrina Kaif 2012 Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu Kareena Kapoor and Imran Khan 2012 Agent Vinod Kareena Kapoor 2012 Dangerous Ishhq Karisma Kapoor 2012 Heroine Kareena Kapoor 2012 Student Of The Year Alia Bhatt 2012 Jab Tak Hai Jaan Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma 2013 Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani Madhuri Dixit, Deepika Padukone and Kalki Koechlin 2013 Chennai Express Deepika Padukone 2013 Krrish 3 Priyanka Chopra and Kangana Ranaut 2013 Gori Tere Pyaar Mein Kareena Kapoor and Imran Khan 2013 R... Rajkumar Sonakshi Sinha 2014 2 States Alia Bhatt 2015 Puli (Tamil) Sridevi 2016 Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Anushka Sharma and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan 2017 Badrinath Ki Dulhania Alia Bhatt 2017 Mom Sridevi 2017 Judwaa 2 Jacqueline Fernandez 2018 Baaghi 2 Jacqueline Fernandez (item number Ek Do Teen) 2018 Dhadak Janhvi Kapoor 2018 Fanne Khan Aishwarya Rai Bachchan 2019 Kalank Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt, Aditya Roy Kapur, Madhuri Dixit, Sanjay Dutt, and Sonakshi Sinha
- ^ "Profile: Manish Malhotra". India Fashion Week. Archived from the original on 2 January 2014. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- ^ "Celebrity Photo Gallery, Celebrity Wallpapers, Celebrity Videos, Bio, News, Songs, Movies". Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- ^ Friday, By Priya Joshi, (26 April 2013). "Manish Malhotra designing change". Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- ^ a b c "11 years, 11 questions: Manish Malhotra talks about his eponymous label | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. 2016-08-01. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ "Elphinstone College". Wikipedia. 2017-06-17.
- ^ "Web India 123".
- ^ "Manish Malhotra Biography". www.chicboutique.in. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ "Elle Fashion News".
- ^ "Here's why this Manish Malhotra show is unlike any other". VOGUE India. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ Art, Philadelphia Museum of. "Philadelphia Museum of Art - Exhibitions - Phulkari: The Embroidered Textiles of Punjab from the Jill and Sheldon Bonovitz Collection". www.philamuseum.org. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ User, Super. "About Pratham". www.pratham.org. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Manish Malhotra Celebrates 100 Years of Indian Cinema at Pratham Ball, London -". 2014-04-17. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Sold-Out Gala Brings Bollywood Fashion to Houston for India's Children | Pratham USA". Pratham USA. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Manish Malhotra's exclusive London show in support of Angel! Foundation". the asian fashion journal. 2013-02-15. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "The Angeli Foundation". www.angelifoundation.com. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Home". www.oca.om. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "DAR AL ATTA'A". www.daralatta.org. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Save the tiger | About 2014 NDTV-Aircel Save Our Tigers Campaign". tiger.ndtv.com. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "MANISH MALHOTRA PRESENTED THE 'BLUE RUNWAY' COLLECTION IN ASSOCIATION WITH WEVOLVE | Peepul PR". www.mypeepul.com. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "WEvolve: Why is Gender-Based Violence Acceptable?". World Bank. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ Writer, By Staff (2017-05-23). "Non-profit CRY planning high profile galas around the country - News India Times". News India Times. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Non-Profit NGO for Child Rights – CRY America". america.cry.org. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Shaina NC and Manish Malhotra's fashion show in support of CPAA | Free Press Journal". www.freepressjournal.in. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Manish Malhotra pays tribute to Kashmir". hindustantimes.com/. 2012-02-18. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Kashmir inspires Manish Malhotra - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ WebAdmin. "Sonakshi Sinha for #Mijwan2015". Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Top Designer Manish Malhotra Mijwan Fashion Show 2012". styles pk | Fashion 2015. 2012-10-14. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Inside Manish Malhotra's Mijwan 2015 show". VOGUE India. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Indian street art has never looked this good". VOGUE India. 2017-12-04. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "MANISH MALHOTRA FOR MIJWAN". www.explosivefashion.in. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Sushmita Sen with daughter". photogallery.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Celebs Walk For Save & Empower Girl Child Show: Manish Malhotra". boldsky.com. 2014-02-06. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- ^ "Manish Malhotra on 25 years of film, fashion and finding his voice". VOGUE India. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ a b "Here Is A Look At Why Manish Malhotra Is The Most Successful Fashion Designer In Bollywood". Farnaz Fever. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ "Earned Rs 500 in his first job, he now takes home crores every month; Manish Malhotra's journey is pure inspiration!". YourStory.com (in undefined). 2017-03-28. |access-date= requires |url= (help)CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- ^ IANS (2017-02-12). "Humbling to share design journey at Harvard Business School: Manish Malhotra". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ "Michael Jackson praises designer Manish Malhotra for his outfit". Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ "Manish Malhotra « India Conference". indiaconference.com. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ a b IANS (2017-01-13). "Manish Malhotra launches virtual reality fashion show". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ www.ETBrandEquity.com. "Google G Suite's new ad, 'All Together Now' showcases intelligent apps for businesses - ET BrandEquity". ETBrandEquity.com. Retrieved 2017-06-18.
- ^ http://www.indiafashionweek.com/designers/manish-malhotra#html
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o "Ace Designer Renowned Fashion Expert Manish Malhotra Is The Fashion Icon Of The Year 2013 At 4th Annual India Leadership Conclave Business Leadership Awards 2013 - Breakfast News TV". 1 March 2016. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- ^ "Manish Malhotra bags best designer award". 4 July 2011. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- ^ "4th Annual India Leadership Conclave & Indian Affairs Business Leadership Awards 2013 held in Mumbai - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-02-05.