Fashion institute of technology registrar
Students majoring in Apparel, Textiles and Merchandising gain through knowledge in the business aspects of the fashion industry. We nurture tomorrow’s fashion leaders and develop broad-based professionals who are forward-thinking, creative, innovative, relevant, and passionate. Award winning professors with vast industry experience are committed to fostering student’s personal goals and allow students to immerse themselves in chosen interest areas to learn, understand and apply new knowledge to the many facets of the apparel industry.
- Major and minor in Apparel, Textiles and Merchandising
- Small class sizes and hands on learning
- Study internationally for program credit
- Professional advisory board to assure students industry ready
- Award winning professors with years of industry experience
- Short 90 minutes from Washington’s fashion center, Seattle
Buyer, Merchandiser, Fashion Trend Analyst, Product Development, Merchandise Planner, Entrepreneur, Product/Brand/Licensing Manager, Sales Rep, Visual Communications, Fashion Stylist, Fashion PR, Retail Manager, Quality Assurance, Fashion Event Coordinator
WHERE ARE OUR GRADUATES WORKING?
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Small class sizes with rigorous learning experiences supplemented with industry field trips to fashion capitals and internships assures students are industry ready. Students can partially define their individual curriculum through elective courses. Study abroad opportunities in London, Milan, Paris, an more are highly encouraged. Course credit directly transfers to CWU into the ATM major.
Courses are focused on creativity and innovation within the fashion industry context. Students apply newly acquired knowledge to professional level projects and industry case studies and graduate with a comprehensive portfolio. Students take 79 credits in the ATM major.
Apparel, Textiles and Merchandising Program includes courses in:
- Style Principles: Body to Store
- Digital Presentation Techniques
- Basic Sewing Techniques
- Buying and Merchandising Math
- Socio-Cultural Aspects of Apparel
- Apparel Manufacturing
- Fashion Show Production
- Fashion Trend Analysis
- Retail Buying
- And More!
Besides extensive coursework in apparel and textiles, students study accounting, promotions & advertising, applied research, leadership and computing.
20th Annual Fashion Show
Apparel Design Minor
A minor in Apparel Design is administered jointly by the Apparel, Textiles and Merchandising Program and Theatre Arts department. It is designed to enable students with career interests in this field to gain experience in the competency areas expected of apparel designers. This minor allows the student to learn to apply the basic principles of design and creativity in developing apparel. Students will study the application of artistic and creative design elements, selection, and use of fabrics and textiles, and the techniques for transforming design concepts into garments in order to create a final saleable product for a target market.
For additional information please contact Professor Andrea Eklund in Family and Consumer Sciences at . All course requirements and information can be found in the CWU catalog.
- Students must have a university-level cumulative GPA of at least 2.3 for full admission to the major
- The major application form must be completed, and then signed by the program advisor and chair
- Complete the entry assessment survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Apparel_Entry_Assessment and attach it to the major application when submitting
Apparel, Textiles & Merchandising Resources
To be admitted as a major to the Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandising major the following process is required: There are no courses prerequisites for admission to the ATM major.
• Meet with a program advisor
• Complete the FCS Major Application Form (see link above)
• Freshmen are encouraged to apply however all students must hold a 2.3 cumulative GPA upon attaining Sophomore standing (45 credits)
• Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandising applicants please complete this survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Apparel_Entry_Assessment